SCC Home » Student Services » Student Services Office » Academic Council
The Academic Council deals with all matters that pertain to problems that students are having with their academic performance, enrollment status, graduation status evaluations and financial matters that pertain to the registration process.
- The Academic Council consists of the following membership: Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs or designee (Chairperson), Academic Dean , Director of Admissions and Records, one counselor, two faculty members (appointed by the Academic Senate), and one classified staff member from Student Services. In the event that the Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, or designee, is unavailable, an additional Academic or Student Services Dean will be appointed to serve in his/her place.
- Students may petition the Academic Council concerning any matter that pertains to their academic performance, enrollment status or registration/withdrawal procedures.
- The Academic Council reviews the scope and content of each student’s petition.
- Students may obtain Academic Council petitions from the Office of Admissions and Records, Counseling Department, the Vallejo and Vacaville Centers or online.
- Students shall submit their completed form(s) to the Office of Admissions and Records.
- All Academic Council actions are decided by majority vote. If there is a tie vote, the Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs or designee may vote to break the tie.
- The Academic Council meets to review disqualification petitions for the upcoming term and on an as-needed basis.
- Students who submit petitions that pertain to academic disqualification must have their petitions reviewed and signed by a counselor before the Academic Council will consider their requests for readmission. The counselor may be asked to present any student petition to the Council. Students may be required to provide medical/legal or other documentation to support their petition.
- Each student who petitions the Academic Council is notified in writing, by Admissions & Records or the Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs or designee concerning the action taken by the Academic Council on his/her petition.
- As this is an appeal process, all decisions of the Academic Council are final and may not be appealed to the Superintendent/President or the Governing Board.
- The Office of Admissions and Records is notified, and maintains a record of all Academic Council decisions. Coordinators of special programs (e.g. EOPS, DSP, etc) will be notified of Academic Council decisions regarding students who are participants in a special program.
- The Academic Council Petition for each student is filed in his/her permanent electronic academic records file with a copy of the Academic Council’s action