SCC Home » Student Services » Financial Aid » Direct Loans
Direct LoansU.S. Department of Education Direct Loan Program
Solano Community College participates in the U.S. Department of Education Federal Direct Loan Program:
- Direct Subsidized Loans - are need-based loans for students, as determined by federal regulations. For Direct Student Loans with disbursements made on or after July 1, 2012 and before July 1, 2014 interest will immediately begin to accrue as soon as the student is no longer enrolled in at least half-time status (6 or more units). The federal government will not pay the interest during the six month grace period. Beginning July 1, 2012 the interest will be the responsibility of the student.
New federal regulations were implemented for first time borrowers effective July 1, 2013. This new regulation requires subsidized loan amounts to be prorated for all first time borrowers. (Students who do not currently owe ANY principal, interest or balance on any subsidized loans) Proration is based on the number of units a student is enrolled in for each semester a student requests a loan.
- Direct Unsubsidized Loans - are non-need based loans for students as determined by federal regulations. Because this loan is not subsidized by the government, you are responsible for all interest which accrues during in-school, grace, and deferment periods.
- Private/Alternative Loans - are NOT CERTIFIED by Solano Community College.
- 2013-2014 Direct Loan application deadlines:
- Fall 2013- Friday November 15, 2013 is the last day to submit a loan application for fall 2013 semester.
- Spring 2014- Friday April 11, 2014 is the last day to submit a loan application for spring 2014 semester.
- Please read this information before you apply for a loan!
Direct Loan FAQ
Please read Recommended Resources below:
For an overview of Direct Loan information through the Department of Education's website, and to find out about interest rates, how to apply for a loan, repayment plans, deferments, forbearance, consequences of default, and much more, click on the link below:
To learn how much your monthly payments will be, go to:
To manage repayment of your loans, go to:
Direct Loan Repayment Plans:
Direct Loan Deferment and Forbearance:
Default Management Awareness:
Financial Aid Literacy "FAB GAB":
Loan Entrance Counseling:
Loan Exit Counseling:
National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS):