We understand the rigors of academia and that you have responsibilities in addition to your studies. We recognize that your time is valuable.
We also know what it’s like to have questions about assignments, to want to bounce ideas around with someone, or to need a quiet place to focus on your work.
It takes dedication to become a successful student. At all of our locations we work
hard to create a positive, inviting, and supportive space to accommodate the diversity
of learners at Solano Community College.
“ASTC has given me a space to ask questions and fully understand material outside of class.” – Alexandra Maletsky
The ASTC offers drop-in, one-on-one tutoring, small group tutoring, and tutoring by appointment. Our tutors are trained in learning strategies and know the concepts in the courses they tutor.
- Many additional business, computer, and language courses
- Many additional behavioral, social, and health sciences courses
In order to use any of the ASTC services, students must first enroll in TUTR 500, which is a free, non-credit, open-entry/open-exit course available to all SCC students. TUTR 500 will never appear on student transcripts and will not affect financial aid. The College requires enrollment in TUTR 500 so that we can monitor usage of the ASTC, evaluate the ASTC's effectiveness, and ensure continued offering of the ASTC resources.
Please use any one of these CRNs when registering for Spring 2019: 11187, 11196, 11197, 11198.
You can add the course when you register for your other classes or by logging on to MySolano at any time during the semester. You can also come into any ASTC location where one of our team members can help you enroll.
Group Tutoring Sessions
Occasionally, the ASTC schedules group tutoring in specific subjects such as anatomy
and physiology. These group tutoring sessions are led by an instructional assistant
in our group study rooms. Contact the ASTC to find out what upcoming group tutoring
sessions are scheduled.
Student Success Workshops
Throughout the semester, the ASTC offers free, 50-minute Student Success Workshops to all students. Workshop topics have included: study skills, note taking, the writing process, Canvas support, test preparation, and dealing with test-taking anxiety.
The Student Success Workshop schedule can be seen on the Workshop Calendar.
Work with an Instructor
Some of Solano’s instructors hold office hours and/or volunteer their time in the
ASTC to work with students in their discipline. This is a great opportunity to get
one-on-one assistance with an academic leader of our community. Contact the ASTC to
find out more.
- Our ASTC team members–they are knowledgeable, resourceful, supportive and attentive. If you ever need anything, just ask!
- Small group study spaces with white boards.
- Private study rooms.
- Study materials, such as calculators, microscopes, and models.
- For those using learning accommodation tools, we have software to support FSReader™ 3, JAWS® 2018, and Kurzweil Education® System.
- An area for printing, copying, and other stationery needs.
- Computer science software: Microsoft® Office, Visual Studio 2015, Adobe® After Effects® CC 2018, Adobe Premiere® Pro CC 2018, and others.
- Math software: Graph, Maple™ 17 (32-bit) Portal, Minitab® 15 English, wxMaxima, and XMaxima
- Science software: Esri® ArcGIS® (GIS mapping), College Chemistry Tutor, Vernier® Logger Pro® 126.96.36.199 (data-collection and analysis), Periodic Table by Revolution Software, and Microsoft® Windows® RasWin (molecular graphics).
JAWS® and FSReader™ are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of Freedom Scientific,
Incorporated, in the United States and other countries.
Kurzweil Education® is a registered trademark of Kurzweil Education Systems, Inc., and Cambium Learning, Inc., in the United States and other countries.
Microsoft®, Office™ and Windows® are registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Adobe® After Effects® and Adobe® Premiere® are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
Maple™ is a trademark of Waterloo Maple, Incorporated in the United States and other countries.
Minitab® is a registered trademark of Minitab, Incorporated, in the United States and other countries.
Esri® ArcGIS® are registered trademarks of Environmental Systems Research Institute, Incorporated in the United States, the European Community, and certain other jurisdictions.
Vernier® Logger Pro® are registered trademarks of Vernier Software and Technology, LLC, in the United States and other countries.
You can request a meeting with the ASTC Coordinator, George Olgin, to discuss any issues related to the learning process, tutoring, or concerns you have regarding academic support. Please contact George via email: George.Olgin@solano.edu.